Friday 16 December 2011

Freecycle - the phenomenon

It`s a grand idea - big on sharing and everso slightly green, but honestly, what am I to make of the offer posted today:  "Retirement bits", which, although unidentified, were taken almost immediately. ??? 

Someone was asking for "Floorboards".
Drastic.

In the same posting: " Offer - Chocolate coloured floor bean bag " and the item below offered from the same source:  "Chocolate fountain - in full working order" - well, evidently!
Last week a request arrived for a "Papa shredder" - some serious problems in that family methinks.

Since my first week as a Freecycler, I have managed to bag just one item, consisting of two lamps, which were brilliant until I had the yellow paint accident... (the spatter was quite widespread, as in yellow tsunami). So I bought a new shade for the floor lamp, costing probably more than the new paper (or is that papa) lamp did originally being an Asda special. Ever since, I have been unable to get anything offered even though I have access to emails at all times, being a sad git with a Blackberry.
So I`m wondering how these things are `taken` before I receive the `offers` - I hadn`t appreciated there was such a high proportion of the Plymouth populace with telepathic powers.

I can understand free sofas and wardrobes being in demand. But even the stuff you`d think no-one would ever want if they had to pay for it, is snaffled within seconds. So as an idea, a movement if you will, Freecycle certainly works. Still, you have to wonder what happens to the stuff that people rush off to collect, only to realise it`s a pile of shite they really didnt want after all.

"Offer: trip to dump in your own car with all my old tat"

No comments:

Post a Comment