Thursday 19 August 2010

The Fate of the Universe*

`The Universe is likely to grow forever`
the headline says, but before we celebrate -
if that`s the correct response - it`ll end up
`a cold, dead wasteland` with `a temperature
approaching what scientists call absolute zero`.

A few things strike me about this what journalists call
story; 1) the word `likely` - is this the same likely
as a) I`m likely to die one day, or b)
I`m likely to end up penniless if I keep writing
or c) diabetes is the likely result
if I keep eating crap?

And what about `forever` - does that mean
into infinity, infinitely? Is that even likely?
Then there`s that kerazee scientific mumbo-jumbo -
`absolute zero` – wow, a new one on me,
but it`ll be alright as the temperature is only
approaching absolute zero, so

it wont actually be that.



*http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11030889

1 comment:

  1. Your website is very interesting. I like
    your website a lot. Thanks for Sharing.-plymouth barbers

    ReplyDelete