Wednesday 12 May 2010

O Bugger

What is it with the BBC`s moody picture of Clegg n Cameron looking as if they were carved out of Grand Canyon rock ? I am not happy. Does anyone really think this coalition will last? Achieve? Earn trust? And suddenly these two public schoolboys are statesmen? Really Britain, I had expected more. I suppose I could pretend to go along with the "new kind of politics" squeakiness, but I`m too long in the tooth for that kind of guff. And wasn`t there only a 55% turnout? And what about those queueing to vote, who didn`t get the chance?

2.5 million unemployed, a huge budget deficit, a land that cant compete in a global economy based on how many toasters/fridges/cars anyone can sell to anyone else... A lack of long-term worthwhile skills, useless training which only benefits the trainers, o yes I could drone on and on about how rubbish it all is.

My own sister once challenged me, in an argument about what was then the poll tax, to shut up or stand as an independent ... in other words, shut up. But how can I cope with the knowledge that PLYMOUTH has defiled its own nest, by electing Oliver Coleman Mustard or some such to represent a city with no easily forseeable future, which was bad enough under Labour, but now a kind of joke or virus even after the populace has voted mostly Tory ... The city centre is failing, I mean, the city centre has it`s new mall, and the rest of the traders can weep and wail. In base Capitalist terms Plymouth has the Drake Circus shopping centre, and not much else. All I can say is thank the something up there or not for the University, because for me, this represents hope for the future, based on youth and aspiration and a different way of seeing even if squeezed in vision by funding hoops and target driven education. Despite this. If the youth who want more were to be edged out of this city, it would die. It`s already more than half dead. Why doesn`t anyone get this?

Okay, so the future is revolutionary. According to my artist daughter, this is so. It may become the case on the street as opposed to in a world of ideas. We dont have that much to hold on to anymore. We have a weird thing with two disparate political parties holding hands like incompetent teenagers outside /inside No 10. Having watched the political debates in the election run-up, I find it all rather shocking, in as far as these men have GIVE ME POWER written large in psychic ink on their horribly underdeveloped foreheads. Nobody can give them the power they are asking for. It isn`t about votes. It`s some kind of dumb twattiness and I apologise for not having the correct form of awfulness at my fingertips` disposal. A dumb twattiness that has left the electorate with nowhere to go that makes any sense to anyone.

I am not happy. I will ride it, like everyone else who gives a flying wotsit.

No comments:

Post a Comment